The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Vazalore - A New Aspirin Formulation
May 2, 2022 (Issue: 1649)The FDA has approved an over-the-counter (OTC) liquid-filled capsule formulation of aspirin (Vazalore – PLx Pharma). The manufacturer has been heavily promoting Vazalore with claims of fast, predictable absorption and antiplatelet activity and...more
- US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). Draft recommendation statement. Aspirin use to prevent cardiovascular disease: preventive medication. October 12, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3rlGRw0. Accessed April 14, 2022.
- SC Smith Jr et al. AHA/ACCF secondary prevention and risk reduction therapy for patients with coronary and other atherosclerotic vascular disease: 2011 update: a guideline from the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology Foundation. Circulation 2011:124:2458.
- DJ Angiolillo et al. Pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic assessment of a novel, pharmaceutical lipid-aspirin complex: results of a randomized, crossover, bioequivalence study. J Throm Thrombolysis 2019; 48:554.
- DL Bhatt et al. Enteric coating and aspirin nonresponsiveness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017; 69:603.
- B Cryer et al. Low-dose aspirin-induced ulceration is attenuated by aspirin-phosphatidylcholine: a randomized clinical trial. Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106:272.
- NIH. Evaluation of upper GI ulceration induced by PL2200 versus aspirin in at-risk subjects. Available at: https://bit.ly/3EhMlgl. Accessed April 14, 2022.
- Approximate retail cost at cvs.com. Accessed April 14, 2022.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.